4/26/2011

Interviews and Happy Mother's Day!


Quarterly President Black has the opportunity to interview each missionary in the mission.  Over the past two weeks we have spent time in the north part of the mission as well as time in the south part of the mission interviewing the 205 Elders and Sisters that serve in the Nevada Las Vegas West Mission.

As President Black interviews one on one I get to visit with the companions and others who are waiting.  As each was waiting for his or her turn I asked them to share with me some words of advice, wisdom, counsel or one liners that their moms had shared with them.   I told them that I would share their thoughts on the blog as a way of remembering their moms around Mother's Day.  Happy Mother's Day!

(I also asked for advice from the fathers.  I will share that for Father's Day.) 

  Lone Mountain Zone

Elder Pome'e -" Return with honor. I love you!
Elder Liddiard - No matter what, God always loves your smile
Elder Bertagnole - Remember who you are

Elder Simmons - Rely on the atonement of Christ because there is no way you're doing this on your own!

Elder Wright -Remember who you are and that your sister has a reputation at school!

Elder Smith - Rememberwho you are. We will always be proud of you.

Elder Williams - Never give up, trust in the Lord. We're proud of you.

Elder Wallace - "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care"
Elder Cook - Be the best that you can be!
Elder Snow - "Brush your teeth! Wash your hands!

Elder Summers - Welcome to the rest of your life!

Elder Sombke - My mom was a wealth of wisdom, but the one I remember the most is to "Never quit because if you quit you lose an oppportunity.

Elder Lloyd - Son, be the best you can! Be the 'you' Heavenly Father meant for you to be!
Elder Pinkerton - "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones. Proverbs 3:5-8. Follow the Golden
Rule.

Elder Clapp - "Dinner is ready!" "Wake up!"

Elder Bassett - Be yourself!


Tulle Spring Zone
Elder Bush - I can't really think of a one liner or a specific piece of advice, but I can remember at sport games and other events that I could hear her cheers and clapping over all the rest of the crowd, everytime!

Elder Clavijo - "Come bien hijito" "Cuidate mucho" "Haz tus oraciones" "Te quiero mucho" "Lavatemanos" "No llegues tarde a la casa" "No juegues deportes muy fuerte."

Elder Hill -"Don't be a pest." My mom always and no matter what, made me know how much she loved me.

Elder Rice -You may never know how your example will affect so many.
Elder Francis - Love everyone. Always. This is not your mission; this is His. Forget yourself!

Elder Carr - Never ever wash your whites and darks together while doing laundry!

Elder Tipa -A'o ou tuputupu a'e i totonu o lo'u aiga. Sa a'oa'oina e'u e lou tina ina ia ou Fa'amaoni ma alofa i So'o Se tasi.

Elder Naval - Be good. Don't make me smack you!

Elder Estes - Read your scriptures, pray, eat your veggies, and don't talk to strangers...okay, skip that last one!

Elder McPherson - "With God....." Heavenly Father has placed great trust in you, don't waste a minute!


Elder Wiscombe - Be a lighthouse! Remember who you are! If you obey, you'll be happy all day!
Elder Rogers - "Remember!" She writes this at the end of every letter and email. We have it on multiple walls back home, referring to who we are.

 ElderBradsher - While driving past Boy's Town she always says, "This is where little boys go who can't get along with their families!" I love you.

Elder Weed - "Don't you ever come back.....you're not allowed! "Oh my gosh, stop being stupid,, your're better than that!" Aunt Jennie.

Elder Blakemore - Hate is not the opposite of love. Apathy is the opposite of love.

Elder Terry - "I am mindful of you always in my prayers, continually praying unto God the Father in the name of his Holy Child, Jesus, that he, throughhis infinite goodness and grace will keep you through the endurance of faith on his name to the end." Moroni 8:3

Elder and Sister Kite

Elder Lento - The elder who baptized me, Elder Olsen, said to me, "Forget yourself, go to work to help others and have a positive attitude.

Elder Sullivan - Choose the right!

Elder Marks - The opposite sex is an enemy.....until you serve a mission and then you can look for a wife!

Elder Smithey - The best thing my mom has done is always express how supportive she is of everything I do.
Heaing her words of support and encouragement have been better than any advice she could have given.

Elder Callirgos - Pray.

Elder Hartman - She just loved me! "You're going to be good, You're going to be awesome!"
Elder Jithame - My parents said they are very proud of me. My mom said that I will be blessed through obedience.
Elder Smithey - (See above)Elder Barnes - Be good!
Elder Coad - "Clean your room!




Red Rock Zone

Elder Kamalamalama - Remember who you are and where you came from.
Elder Byers - Love who you serve. Remember who you are! Why'd the orange stop? Because it ran out of juice!
Elder Marler - Always be positive!
Elder Rice - Trust in the Lord in all you do.
Elder Lougee - Be obedient.
Elder Richards - Don't do anything stupid.


Elder Velez Sagastume - Return home with honor. Be respectful to all females. Love those who hate you.

Elder Kakau
Elder Downs - Remember the sacrifices that were made so you could go on a mission. Become the Priesthood holder that the Lord wants you to be.

Elder Flores - First of all, my mom taught me how to cook and clean. She was the one that taught me to love people, how to be more open. She taught me discipline and to follow the great example of missionaries in my family. "No digas eww a la comidu"

Elder Gawrych - Don't worry, everything will work out in the end.
Elder Schank - The Holy Ghost goes to bed at 10:00 P.M.

Elder Rogers - My grandma told me to be as careful as I can. Do good!

Elder Millington - I love you. I am proud of you. Be safe! Have Fun!


Elder Reid
Elder Nunally - Remember who you are.
Elder Davis - Be obedient, follow the example of prophets.
Elder Hansen - Eat everything on your plate.

Elder Fetner - If you're going to do something, do it right. That's why your dad worked so hard in Air War College.
Elder Asay - Take a deep breath and relax, everything is okay.
Elder Childs- Be you!
Elder Fairbanks - You don't have to do it, you get to do it!
Elder Wilson - Remember who you are and where you came from!
Elder Marsh - Do as I say, not as I do!
Filling out the paper work!
Add Image


Las Vegas Zone
Elder Spencer - Remember I love you!
Elder Williams - Everyone is different, It's okay to be different.
Elder Siddoway - Work hard and love the people you teach.
Elder Uland - Enjoy the time you have
.
Elder Martin - Work hard, be clean, be awesome.
Elder Retuerto - Always be smiling no matter what is going in life.
There is always a good reason why things happen. Always pray to Heavenly Father to know what to say when someone is going through a hard time. Love people.
Elder Zanudo - My mom shared 2 Nephi 29 with me and shared her testimony about the Book of Mormon and how it has changed her life. How if I keep reading the Book of Mormon it will change my life for good.

 Elder Vilcapoma - If you want to do something that you really want, you have to put your heart and mind on it. Study and be prepared for life because life is pretty tough.

Sister Clevenger - Heavenly Father loves you, He is always there for you no matter what. I am so proud of you. I know you are doing a wonderful job. Continue to pray. Heavenly Father is always there to listen to you.
Sister Sprouse - Never doubt. Faith is everything you have. Put your full trust in God, He will always deliver you. Always pay your tithing. Serve and love others. If you kind of keep the commandments, then the Lord will kind of bless you. Be happy!
Sister Walker - Don't ever be ashamed to cry when you feel the Spirit. My mother showed me how to pray by her example. She taught me how to listen by listening to me.
Elder Tanner - Remember that you don't know what roads people have taken to get them to where they are today.
Elder Figuerrez - Be good, do good! Obedience with Exactness!
Elder Sorenson - Just smile, and wave. Smile and wave! Take a chance or not. It's your gamble! What is life if there is no fun. A spoonful of sugar does help the mission go by! Just keep swimming!
Elder Rolfson - I love you. Always treat girls with respect.
Elder Hugie - Those of us who are not blessed with faith can still do right and overcome, as well as increase our faith.
Elder Alcorn - Don't you ever forget that I love you!

South Zone
Elder Hensley - When you get older you're gonna burn a hole in your stomach!
Love ya, Mom!
Elder Josephson - If you don't ask to help clean up after every meal...I'll kill you!
You better treat people better than we treat you!
Elder Fish - Be good; don't be bad!
Elder Justice - Always behave as if there were a camera watching you at all times.
Elder Jimenez - Sacrifice brings blessings, that which is not worked for is not valued.
Elder Boyce - Go ask your father!
Elder Petersen - I'm so mad I could spit!
Elder Graff - Keep pushing on the rock!
Elder Weaver - Remember who you are!
Elder Ah Mu - Be yourself!
Elder Jones - The Church is true!
Elder Burch - Never settle!
Elder Hawkins -While studying the D&C my mom read section 100. While reading verses 4-6 she said she thought of me. She knew that I was where he Lord has sent me. She said, "The Lord is with you."
Elder Robison - You've come a long way.
Elder Cooper - Don't be afraid of losing who you are. I think, if anything, you will find out who you are.
Elder Farnsworth - Stay safe and have fun.
Sister Spencer - My mother is a huge support with her endless care packages. She always knows what I need. Her words of advice are - Only two slurpee's a week! Drink water!
Sister Maumau - I'm not going t lie, daughter, I do miss you and your little brother annoying me here at home, but my grandsons keep me busy--I love them more anyways!

Sister Leilua
Elder Denker - When other peoples behavior disappoints you, improve your own.
Elder Miller - When you go, commit and go for all two years---full out! Love the people you teach! Serve from your heart.
Elder Constantino - Always show love and care. Look for the good in everything! God has always blessed us, no matter what the situation is in our lives.
Elder Modawell - " I want to squeeze you!"
Elder Callejas - Work very hard!
Elder Altamirano - Life is rough and cruel so suck it up and just live your life to the fullest. Always listen to those that know what to do in order to climb higher on the ladder.
Filling out all the paper work!


Reno North
Elder Schleiffarth - I love you, you're my favorite son!
Elder Stevens - I love you!

Elder Welker - Don't be stupid. Quit whining and get in the game!
Elder Norman - We love you and are proud of your decision to go on a mission.
Elder Robinson - Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you are going to get so don't eat too much! Watch what you do because I'm watching and so is Jesus.
Elder Christensen - Mind your P's and Q's! You're a leader, be an example.
Elder Chamberlain - Have a fun time stormin' the castle!
Elder Smith - Don't be dumb! Remember who you are.
Elder Rothert - Do I have a sign that says go-fer on my head?!  "Kevin! Would you stop it! "
Elder Zegarra - Don't be lazy. Rely on the Lord.
Elder Martin - Choose what you love, love your choice. Be good, be thoughtful, be happy!

Elder Guist - Don't be stupid!

Elder Roberts - Remember who you are!

Elder McOmie - Work hard, don't waste the Lord's time and do your best.
Elder Moser - Be punctual and considerate. Come home tired.
Elder Sellers - My mom is a great blessing for me. She provides me with comfort whenever I am frustrated. She helps me to understand others and care for them
.
Elder Towns - If you clean your room, you care about me!
Elder Johnson - The Church is true!
Elder Christensen - Forget yourself and go to work. Love the people you are serving.
Elder Brough - You can do what you please but you can't choose the consequences. When you start something see it ghrough to the end.
Elder Askham - Be smart in all you do. Do anything you want, just do it with a college education.
You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd. Patience.
Elder Lopez - Keep going, you're strong, because the trials you have won't make you fall.
Elder Dunn - My mom has always lived up to the example of living a life of charity. That example, to me, has been some of the greatest counsel she's given us.
Elder Andrews - Don't fly with the turkeys, fly with the eagles!

Filling out all the paperwork!



Fallon Zone
Elder Lopez - Return with honor. Be a missionaryof quality, not quantity.
Elder Larsen - Follow your heart and do what you know is right. Don't regret the actions of your mission.
Elder Burton - Remember who you are....I love you!
Elder Stucki - Be obedient and work hard! This is the best thing you could be doing right now so enjoy every minute of it!
Elder Kiaha
Elder Henderson - I love you!
Elder Robison - Do the right things for the right reasons.
Elder Peters - Remember who you are and what you stand for. Be a lighthouse, a beacon unto the world.
Elder Torres - Israel, be good, be obedient, always seek the Lord when you face trials! Be a good example to others because everyone is watching you!
Elder Neufville - Do the best that I can and don't give up. Work hard and teach as many people as you can and the Lord will bless you for it.
Elder Grady - Follow the example of Jesus Christ in all that I do. Search for good, wholesome things that will invite happiness into your life.
Elder Sine (no picture)- Flesh is weak, man will fail you--trust in God, all will be well.


Elder Layton - Always smile! Look at the glass half full. Be patient. Love everyone around you.
Elder Bowe - I love you. Remember who you are. A missionary is one who leaves his family for two years so another family can be together for a life time. It's worth it!
Elder Camp - Just do your best, that's all you can do. As you get older your family....your brothers and sisters become your best friends. Keep on parcticing the piano!

Elder Bowzer - Kill them with kindness! Be nice to everyone, even if they aren't being nice to you.
Sister Warnock - Don't be stupid! We love you.
Sister Knighton - Be nice. Trust in the Lord. I love ya!

Elder Moreno - Endure to the end, everything in this time is for your future.  Be patient with people. Don't make people feel bad for their weaknesses.  Obey God's commandments.  Learn new things. Keep your home clean.

Elder Cevallos -  My mother had the opportunity to serve a mission so she was able to share with me some of her learning experiences.  One of the most important counsels she gave me was to stay busy during the day so that we stay focused throughout the week.

Elder Bunnell - Take the best out of every situation.

Elder Stanton - "Live it, Love it."  In that order!


Carson City Zone
Elder Tapusoa - Take care of yourself! Be a good example.
Elder Pearson - Remember who you are.
Elder Barnard - Remember who you are!
Elder McClellan - Love your comp. Obey the rules.
Elder Villalobos - I am always going to be there for you.
Elder Marin - Return with honor. Your Heavenly Father is the only father you need.

Elder Lane - Shave everyday!
Elder Mathis - Behave and work hard!
Elder Carleton - Clean your room!
Elder Thompson - I brought you into this life, I can take you out of it!
Elder Humphrey - Always do your best. It's not always the destination but the road to get there.
Elder Hubbard - Do what is right and have fun doing it! Don't eat Ramen Noodle Soup every day!
Love your companion.
Sister Larsen - When you borrow you return or pay back, otherwise you might say give!
Elder Larsen - What would the neighbors think?!!

Reno Zone
Elder Fulbright - Be a good example.
Elder Tindall - Remember who you are and what you stand for! Love U!
Elder Corvalan - God loves me, my mom loves me and is there for me no matter what. She tells
me to keep up the good work that I'm doing as a missionary.
Elder Sugiyama - Smile more, you never smile! Chew your food! Don't sweat the small stuff!
Elder Daines - Remember who you are and who you are representing.
Elder Taylor - At times when I was being cranky, selfish, etc. she would say 'You have to get over yourself...' It 's true! And it has helped a lot.
Sister Mack - Love the people. A smile will get you places. Write to me. Stop spending money.
Use your singing talents to share the gospel.
Sister Dixon - Be obedient so that you can call down all the blessings of heaven.
Elder Reyes Sanchez - Love, patience, work and cook. Be kind with others.
Elder Ostler - Serve those you love.
Elder Theurer - Make good choices, remember who you are. Make us (my parents) proud.
Elder Irwin - If you are going to do something, do it right! Happy wife, Happy life! You are happier when you make others happy.
Elder Feldman - Smile, be yourself, and remember we love you. Don't worry, just be happy! Drink more milk! Be a good example.
Elder Cedeno - My mom always supports me on every hard moment, and she always helps me to understand the hard moments and the good ones.
Elder Matekel - I love you!
Elder Fackrell - She was the example.
Elder Elmer - Always do your best in all that you do. Love everyone.
Elder McCoy - When adversity is the worst, then the dawn is close. Pray...then comes the light.
Elder Grover - Remember, we are proud of you.
Filling out the paper work!

4 comments:

  1. I loved reading all the missionaries quotes from their mothers. It is great to see that President Black's Army have been taught by their mothers! Thanks for sharing. Sister Black, I hope you have a Happy Mother's Day with your new 200+ family.
    Mary Alcorn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love it!!! Pres and Sister Black, you are amazing! Thanks for taking such great care of our son while he's been in the mission field. :) I know it will be very hard for him to leave in a few weeks. What a joy to have him back home at least for a few days! Much love from us to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5/02/2011

    Thank you Sister Black for a wonderful Mother's Day gift!!
    Happy Mother's Day to you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5/06/2011

    This is wonderful!
    Our children really did listen to us :)
    Alma 56:48 "And they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers, saying: We do not doubt our mothers knew it."

    ReplyDelete